Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Love and Marriage and Divine Mercy

My best friend from college got married this past weekend. It was a lovely wedding, with a beautiful bride, proud groom, and many happy guests. It was not a religious ceremony, and some of the elements were a bit, um, unusual to me, but I'm glad that these two crazy kids are finally married.

Husband and I really enjoyed ourselves during the weekend. We road-tripped up and back (I'd consider a road trip in this case to be driving a distance that many people would normally fly), which is one of my favorite couple activities for us. Someday, I want to drive across the country together, and take different routes heading in each direction to see as much as possible. A good car adventure with my honey really makes me happy.

Today happens to be the anniversary of our first date. And not just any anniversary - the tenth anniversary! He had to leave this morning to travel for work, and then I'll be leaving this weekend before he gets back to travel for my own job, but I can't help feeling romantic about this. If he hadn't called me up and asked me out for ice cream (as directed by a mutual friend) back during that senior year of high school, we might not be here together today. I cannot explain how glad I am that we're together, no matter what. It is such an incredible blessing.

One little note about being IF - because what post from me is complete without one? - the bridesmaid who I was worried would be announcing her pregnancy at the bachelorette party is in fact now pregnant. 12 weeks! She must have found out right after the bachelorette party. I spent Friday being upset about it, but when I woke up on Saturday, I felt moved to pray about it. I prayed the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, which I really haven't been exposed to much. Saying those words over and over, "for the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world," was so cleansing. All of the ugly feelings of jealousy I had were washed away as I prayed. I know I don't want this other girl's baby, and I hated that I was so upset by it. I felt like I needed to ask God for His mercy, and praying the chaplet, I felt that I was truly receiving it. And the final prayer:

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible,
look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us,
that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent,
but with great confidence submit ourselves to Your holy will,
which is Love and Mercy itself.

How have I been making it through without praying this every day? Let me not despair or become despondent, Lord! Let me confidently submit myself to Your holy will! Amen, amen, amen.

I stood up after that prayer and felt completely renewed by the God's mercy. During the reception that evening, I sincerely congratulated the expectant parents and felt only joy in my heart for them. That right there was a miracle for me.

-January

5 comments:

  1. I've prayed the chaplet, but somehow I'm not familiar with that final prayer. It's beautiful! I'm so glad God was able to use it to allow you to feel joy for you friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After you said this, I looked it up, and it turns out that it's an optional closing prayer! I love it, though, so I think I'm making it mandatory for me :)

      Delete
  2. First off, this Dec will be our 10 year dating anniversary also! Congrats to y'all! ;)

    How beautiful and inspiratinal-the reminder to step back and PRAY! I think too many times we forget that He is there and will help us get through difficult situations, all we need is ask...through prayer!

    You are a strong woman!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! 10 years! Congrats! Isn't it great at how you met? I think back sometimes to how everything lined up when I met my hubby ... its such a great feeling to relive the experience.
    I love the closing prayer for the Chaplet. It's such a huge success that it brought you such peace. I'm glad God brought His mercy to your heart!

    ReplyDelete